Wednesday 1 May 2013

escapism

For the beginning of a new month: Simphiwe Dana. Divine. Rich. In my escapism.


The video was directed by Emma Willis.

Escapism
Poetry in one word
This one word is my refuge
Realist that I am
It gets too much
It all gets too much
Smile stretched to breaking point
Bones melting inside my resolve
The seeing is for a few
For the rest it is business as usual
Partaking in the feasting
Feasting on life
The takers are everywhere
When everything has been devoured
They will feast on themselves
Such is the nature of their wiring

It is all around me
This nature that I must escape
Setting doubt to my convictions
That we can be great again

The world has changed so much
We have changed the world
Sculptured it into our image
Even our gods are corruptible
Shaped in our image

They did say we would police each other into silence about the things that really matter

It doesn’t matter now
It is done
My one word poetry has been desecrated
Despondency is the only unoccupied space in my escape


Simphiwe Dina

No comments:

Post a Comment